Getting braces can be intimidating, especially if you’re concerned about how they’ll look. To choose which suits you best, we’ll compare the most common braces among orthodontic patients, ceramic braces vs metal braces in this blog.
Metal and Ceramic braces use similar designs to achieve straight teeth and a healthy smile. Likewise, with a well-placed set of braces, you can improve your teeth’s health and appearance.
Ceramic Braces: Pros and Cons
Ceramic braces, also known as clear braces, use polycrystalline alumina which is either clear or the same color as a patient’s tooth.
A small wire is used for holding teeth in place, and they’re made from a type of ceramic that looks like porcelain teeth. The linking wire is mostly tooth-coloured for lessening the visibility of ceramic braces.
Here are some advantages of choosing ceramic braces:
- They’re less painful and comfortable to wear and won’t irritate your gums or the sides of your mouth.
- They’re clear or tooth-colored which makes them less noticeable than metal braces.
- They don’t interfere with imaging tests since ceramic braces produce lesser signal interference than metal braces.
Despite these advantages, there are a few drawbacks to ceramic braces, which are:
- They seem to be more expensive than metal braces since higher-quality materials are used.
- They might be less effective and take longer to achieve the desired results which can impact costs too.
- They’re more likely to stain because of their lighter colour brackets and users should limit their intake of foods and beverages which are dark.
These might be some things that you might need to consider before getting ceramic braces.
Metal Braces: Pros and Cons
Metal braces are a traditional orthodontic treatment that uses brackets and stainless wires to align your teeth.
Despite the clear alternatives, metal braces stay a common option for all ages mostly due to being more affordable than ceramic braces. Additionally, with braces wearing elastics is a necessary component in orthodontic treatment with metal braces.
Here are some advantages to keep in mind considering metal braces:
- They’re effective in complex cases since metal braces allow for greater control and more accurate teeth movement.
- The materials used in metal braces are generally darker and robust which makes them likely to become discoloured.
- They’re more affordable than ceramic braces.
Despite these advantages, there are a few drawbacks to metal braces, which are:
- The most obvious cons of metal braces are, it is very much noticeable.
- They’re harder to clean and can cause problems such as gum disease if left unchecked.
- A person with metal braces needs to monitor their diet and oral hygiene more strictly.
In addition, within the cons of the metal braces being unavoidable to be seen, there is also a fun point: you’ll be offered a range of colour options for the bands that secure the wires to the bracket.
Get a dental care you need with just a click or call. Book your appointment online or call us at:
- 01-4480880 – Chabahil, Kathmandu
- 01-4312911 – Naikap, Kathmandu
- 04-4550365 – Bardibas, Mahottari
Which Braces are Best for You?
Choosing between ceramic and metal braces depends on your specific needs. Here are some factors to consider for ceramic braces vs metal braces:
Ceramic braces are more expensive than metal braces, so consider your budget before making a decision.
Metal braces are much more durable than ceramic braces because metals are sturdier than ceramic. It is also found that ceramic braces are more likely to break than metal braces.
If your first choice is to stay low-key then ceramic braces can be a better choice however, they’re less durable and can take much longer time to correct your teeth than metal braces.
Conclusion: Ceramic Braces vs Metal Braces
Both ceramic and metal braces have their pros and cons. If you’re concerned about how they look, ceramic braces may be a better option for you.
However, metal braces may be the way to go, if you’re seeking a more affordable option. Ultimately, the right treatment for you depends on your specific needs and budget.
Before optioning for either ceramic or metal braces, you might need to consult an experienced and skilled dentist or orthodontist. At Om Samaj Dental Hospital, we strive to make dental care accessible and affordable for everyone.
Also, our team of skilled dentists will help you determine whether you need braces or not, and which type of braces is best suited for your unique needs. No matter which option you might have to pick, you can count on straightening your teeth by the end of treatment.
That’s why we offer lifetime Free Dental Check-Ups in all our branches, with a nominal one-time membership fee of NRs. 20 – Rs. 50. By doing regular Free Dental checkups at Om Samaj Dental Hospital, you can stay on top of your oral health and catch any issues early on.