Dental crown is a crucial aspect of our oral health and well-being. Our teeth play a vital role in maintaining good health and making us feel confident about our appearance.
Dental crowns are one of the many treatments available to protect and restore damaged or missing teeth.
In this article, we will discuss the importance of dental crowns for your oral health.
What are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a cap that is placed over a tooth to restore its shape, size, strength, and improve its appearance.
Crowns can be made from various materials like porcelain, gold, or ceramic composites.
They are customized to fit over your natural tooth or implant to provide protection and improve your smile.
Types of Dental Crowns for Teeth
Patients will be offered to choose the type of crown they may require, crowns include the following options:
- Temporary Crowns: These are the crowns used to cover your teeth temporarily while you wait for your permanent crown. Since they are not permanent, you should be careful while eating to ensure you do not force them to break or come loose.
- Gold Crowns: In the past gold, crowns were the most popular but these days due to the introduction of porcelain and metal/titanium crowns. However, gold crowns are still in use and typically replace molars in the back of the mouth.
- Metal Crowns: Metal or Titanium crowns are best known for their durability and resistance to decay. With being the most durable option it is also the most expensive.
- Porcelain Crowns: It is prevalent among patients who want to keep the natural appearance of their teeth because the Porcelain Crown mimics the natural appearance of teeth.
- Stainless Steel: This kind of dental crown is used to protect the tooth while the permanent crown is being made. After your permanent crown is ready, the steel crown is removed and replaced with the permanent crown.
Why are Dental Crowns Important for Your Oral Health?
Prevent Tooth Decay and Further Damage with Dental Crown
Dental crowns can help prevent tooth decay and further damage to your teeth.
In fact, research shows that dental crowns can provide a protective barrier that prevents bacteria from entering the tooth and causing decay.
They can also help prevent further damage to a tooth that has already been damaged by decay or trauma.
Improve the Appearance of Your Teeth
Dental crowns can also improve the appearance of your teeth. They can cover up discoloured, chipped, or misshapen teeth, making them look natural and healthy.
Additionally, dental crowns can be used to replace missing teeth, restoring your smile and confidence.
Strengthen Weak Teeth with Dental Crown
When a tooth is damaged by decay or trauma, it may become weaker and unable to support itself.
A dental crown provides support and strengthens the tooth, preventing further damage and potential tooth loss.
Protect Teeth After Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment can leave a tooth weak and susceptible to damage which is why dental crowns are often used to protect teeth after root canal treatment.
Furthermore, a crown can help prevent further damage to the tooth and improve its longevity.
Long Lasting and Durable with Dental Crown
Dental crowns are long-lasting and durable. With proper care, a dental crown can last for many years.
However, regardless of the material used, proper care is essential to ensure the longevity of your dental crown.
Affordable and Accessible
Dental crowns are an affordable and accessible treatment option for many people.
In addition to the above, they are also covered by most dental insurance plans and are readily available from most dental practices.
In conclusion, dental crowns are a valuable dental appliance that can restore damaged teeth and replace missing ones.
With proper care, they can last for many years and prevent further damage to teeth, potentially avoiding the need for more extensive dental treatments like RCT.
To ensure optimal oral health, regular dental checkups and cleanings are crucial.
If you’re looking for a reliable dental hospital that offers comprehensive dental services, including dental crown placements and routine checkups, consider Om Samaj Dental Hospital.
For a nominal one-time membership fee of NRs. 20-50, you can enjoy the benefits of regular dental care and potentially avoid costly and painful dental procedures in the future.